In 2014, my husband and I purchased a second home in Punta de Mita, Mexico. We discovered Punta de Mita in 2012 when we went on a trip for our honeymoon. We selected the spot based on a few reasons: the people, the weather, the food and of course the good surf. My husband LOVES to surf.
The little town didn't disappoint. Year after year, we ended up vacationing in Punta de Mita.
We met the locals and ex-pats many of which have become our dear friends.
Over time we learned that a lot of US citizens buy second homes and spend equal amounts of time in the states and Mexico. We also learned that they rented their second homes out during the times they were in the states and they made money doing so.
When my husband and I got married, it was our second marriage and we were starting all over, financially speaking. We were in our 40s and we knew we would have to do something that would allow us to secure a future for ourselves that didn't involve us working until age 80 or even 70. So we decided to purchase a home in Mexico as an investment property.
Seven years later, we have no regrets and believe we made the right choice to purchase a second home and it has made us money and paid for itself throughout the years.
We purchased a condo, with 3 bedrooms and a wonderful view of the ocean. The condo complex is well-maintained and has a fabulously invited pool.
But, there is an empty piece of land in front of our condo and we learned there is a chance that a small hotel will be built on it.
We decided to sell our unit and move up a floor or two to avoid having our view blocked.
Our place sold quite fast and we're now looking at two units in our complex. And, of course my husband likes one unit and I like the other.
A very common thing that happens when you buy a previously owned vacation home in Mexico is they come fully furnished. That means an owner furnishes them and sells them that way. It makes sense cause it's too expensive to try to ship your stuff back to the states so you sell it as is.
Well, the unit we're looking at (the one I like) is COMPLETELY empty. We will have to drop some money into it to furnish it and make it rentable and livable. Decorating is my expertise so of course I'm THRILLED. The unit has so much potential. I am confident we can make it a beautiful Mexican oasis with a very hacienda vibe to it.
The other unit, the one my husband likes, is completely furnished and ready to go. However, the place has no personality. The gentleman that owns is uses it as a rental only and it looks that way. The furnishings are nice but boring, and dark and masculine. Also, it's a lot of Tommy Bahama furniture that is better suited for a home in Florida not Mexico. You follow me...
Ok, so I have a feeling I'm gonna get the place I want. This means I can turn this blank canvas into a lovely second home for us. Here's a video of the unit. Do you see the potential? If yes, let me know in the comments below. Also, if you have any Hacienda style blog sites or Pinterest sites you follow, provide me the link below. I need some inspiration. Well, that's it for now. Wish me luck on the owner of the unit accepting our offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment